This is a well-known classic sweet, originating in northern Europe but popular the world over because it is a winner every time. Try this simple recipe for apple strudel and enjoy the deliciousness of sweet spiced apples enveloped in a filo pastry.
- Filo pastry (phyllo dough)
- 6 apples peeled and diced
- 100 g butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- A few drops vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- Melt 50 g butter in a pan.
- Add chopped up apples.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until they start to brown.
- Open up filo pastry and brush it with butter (use about 6 layers and simply brush each layer with butter).
- Place the cooked apples without the juice to avoid sogginess, sprinkle half of the spices and half the sugar on top and roll the pastry.
- Sprinkle the rest of the spices and sugar over the pastry roll and place on a baking sheet covered with baking paper.
- Bake at 180 C for about 25 minutes until it turns a lovely golden colour.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.