See this recipe in Maltese: Froġa tal-ġbejniet u asparagu
It is not necessary to make a fuss in the kitchen in order to create a nice meal. With this omelette you can make a quick and light meal that is ideal for a week night and which delights your taste buds with the contrasting tastes of the asparagus with the goat's cheese and eggs.
Preparation: 15 min
Total time: 35 min
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 leek, just the light part, cleaned
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 4 whole eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 60 g ġbejniet (goat cheese), crumbled
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat up the oil in a skillet on moderate heat. Add the leek and fry for about 4 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile blanche the asparagus in boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain and cool in ice cold water.
- Beat together the eggs and egg whites by hand. Add the leek, the asparagus, the goat cheese and oregano. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Grease a non-stick 23 cm frying pan with oil and place on moderate heat.
- Pour the mixture in a frying pan and smooth out with a spoon so that the asparagus and goat's cheese are sunk in the egg. Allow the egg to cook for about 7 minutes or until you notice the outer layer starting to brown.
- Slip the omelette onto a plate and flip it into the frying pan on the other side. Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until the omelette is completely cooked.
- Allow it to sit for 10 minutes then cut and serve.
Note: Instead of flipping the omelette over you can continue to cook it under a grill.
Did you like this recipe? Leave your comments below and please rate and share to help us bring you more of the recipes you enjoy.